For those in creative industries, especially designers, getting your name out to potential clients can be difficult. You know you have talent to offer, but how are other people going to know? Online portfolios can be a great way to show your work while social networks can be a great way to build your brand and make connections. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a way combine both, so you could build your network and showcase your talent at the same time? That is where Behance comes in.
What Is Behance?
Behance is a showcase platform website (and app) and social network for the creative industry. The company was founded in 2006 to help organize, the disorganized creative community.
“When people put their work up on the Internet, it often didn’t get the proper attribution and credit it deserved. The thought was, ‘Let’s make a platform for people to showcase and discover what’s going on in the creative world”. – Scott Belsky, Creator of Behance
Success Of The App
- In 2012 Adobe purchased Behance for over $150 million dollars.
- According to a Forbes article in July of 2013 Behance had 1.5 million users.
- In 2015, Behance has over 6 million members, 200 million page views, and 10,0000 new projects uploaded daily.
- In May of 2016 Behance had over 67 million profile views worldwide in thirty days.
Benefits of Behance For Designers
Here are my top three reasons that designers should use Beehance.
Behance has features built in to allow for users to interact with each other and build a community. These features include:
- The ability to follow artists
- Once artists are followed users receive updates about the artists projects
- Comment on each others work
- Leave feedback on work
- Tag other users
- “Appreciate” (like) the work of other users
2. Get Featured
Behance has featured galleries that features the profiles of certain profiles. Having a profile featured is a great way to get more visibility on Behance. This article has a great list of steps to take to get a profile featured.
3. Find a Job
Not only does Behance offer the ability to showcase portfolio online, it
provides a place to display your work experience. You can add as much past work experience as you want. Potential employers can download profile in resume for while browsing projects that potential candidates have worked on.
If you are the proactive type you can utilize the search feature of Behance to look for job listings. In order to find the perfect opportunities you can filter search results by company, field and location.
Tips for Success on Behance
- Tips to make money with Behance
- Tips for success from users off Behance
- 12 ways to get the most out of Behance
- Helpful Tips to create a more successful Behance portfolio (video below)
Let me know if you have had any experience on Behance, what you think about it or any tips and tricks that you may have!